Stephen Kruiser: The Mouth Of America

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Where Are The Republicans?

Correct me if I'm wrong, George W. Bush was the Republican nominee both times he won the presidency, right?

Michelle Malkin discusses the particulars of the president's quasi-nationalization of the mortgage industry and bailout of the homeowners whose eyes were bigger than their wallets here.

Since when is it the government's job to offer assistance for confusion and/or stupidity? OK, we pay retirement benefits to former members of the House and Senate but that's unavoidable.

Millions of Americans apparently signed contracts for Adjustable Rate Mortgages without quite understanding the nature of the beast. Perhaps it has to do with all that public education leaving them with no working knowledge of simple math ("Small number now, big number later..."). Maybe the word "adjustable" was only used in honors classes. I'd wager a good portion of the people in trouble right now believed they were purchasing actual appendages.

"Honey, this looks more like a house than an arm."

"Shh, let's keep it anyway. If we say something we'll look stupid!"


If the federal government is truly going into the business of bailing out people for stupid personal choices then it owes me a chunk for my mid-twenties. With interest. Heck, I've got a list of idiocy that runs right up to last Friday (onions, garlic and broccoli before heading out for the night-blast off!) that I could use some cash for. So far, so good this week though.

The American public isn't known for its financial acumen. We're the idiots who keep electing the idiots who spend our money on nothing.

"What's that, Senator, you've wasted another third of my income? Well, by all means, take some more of my money and get back to work then!"

So now we're asking the idiots who never spend our money well to help us because we didn't spend our money well.

"I'm having a hard time losing weight. If I eat nothing but ice cream, beer and potato chips for a month it should get better."

I feel for the few real Republicans left in Washington. It must be hard to get any substantive legislation passed when you spend most of your day recovering from injuries incurred while banging your heads against the wall.

"Hush little baby, don't say a word. The Nanny-State will help in ways quite absurd..."